May 25 2023, MENA Meetup
The monthly meetups bring together folks from the MENA region to share, connect, seek help, and release stress by celebrating each other. In addition, it's a time for us to find ways to support each other, and help us understand what is happening in our part of the world. If you cannot attend the monthly meetups, we are taking notes of each gathering and linking to them below.
The MENA community is connected during the week in different ways. Either through various MENA-focused channels on the TCU Mattermost or via different events organized on various topics during the year.
Date: Thursday, May 25
Time: 5pm Beirut / 2pm UTC (what time is it in my city?)
Who: Facilitated by Islam
Where: The Big Blue Button link will be shared in the Regional:MENA Channel on the TCU Mattermost one or two hours before the start of the meeting.
- Don't have an account to the TCU Mattermost? you can request one following the directions here.
- We need to focus on mis/disinformation (endangering people with wrong dangerous routes). For example, there were incident of Disinformation / lies about fake support (UN providing support) yet it turned out to be RSF trapping people.
- We must keep in mind that there’s no infrastructure (no water, no electricity, lack of stable telecom services)
- Big cities outside Khartoum, although they have good services, but now bc of pressure from people moving from Khartoum, services are strained, so more burden on networks/ out of order.
- We need to focus on which services might leave or reduce services, such as MTN (MTN left Syria, have reduced share in Iran)
- We need to support fact checking efforts, mainstream reliable sources
- We must focus on Meta to do their own fact-checking processes / and deplatforming of RSF/ removing posts