March 31 2023, Africa Meetup
Date: Friday, March 31st
Time: 3pm SAST / 1pm UTC / 4pm EAT / 9am EDT
Who: Facilitated by Mardiya & Tawanda
Where: BigBlueButton link will be shared in the following rooms on the IFF Mattermost one or two hours before the start of the meeting: Sub-Saharian Africa.
- Don't have an account to the IFF Mattermost? you can request one following the directions here.
Notes: Please put notes here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/africa-meetup
- The rolling protests in Nairobi, which happens two days in a week.
- How the political space in Kenya is affecting the work and headspace of community members
- Cases are concerning press freedom because there has been efforts to stifle expression and journalists within the community are still processing what this means for their work.
- A social media hiatus. Increasing political tensions, crisis, new bills, and violence have caused some community members to decide to take a social media break. This is their own way of protecting their Zen and keeping what is left of their mental capacity at bay.
The Global Gathering
- Excited to attend the global gathering, especially to have a mini regional meet-up. Members hope that many people within the community have applied and would be able to attend.
- Building bonds beyond online connections: the community members shared that bonds are stronger in-person, and the global gathering is a chance to further some of these existing relationships.